Graves Disease is one of the many auto-immune diseases that did not exist 60 years ago. Almost all of the auto-immune diseases are a result of our chemical-laden food, drinks, personal products, and toxic environment.
That's the bad news. The good news is that if you make MAJOR changes in what you eat and drink, the Graves Disease will disappear.
I'd be willing to bet that you eat the Standard American Diet. (live on fast food, soft drinks, processed foods, and absolute junk).
Did you know that people who drink diet-soda, which is sweetened with aspartame, have been mis-diagnosed with Graves Disease? Once they gave up canned soda and cleaned up their diets, the symptoms disappeared.
I'm going to point you to a wonderful website that is full of valuable information about Graves Disease. But first, a few of my own thoughts.
You've asked yourself, "Why me? Why should I be hit with this terrible disease when my life is just beginning?"
I truly believe that this disease is your body's way of letting you know that you have to significantly change your life. Right now, the Graves Disease seems like a Curse. But if you change your eating regimen and heal yourself physically and emotionally, then the illness may seem like a Blessing: A major TEST that you had to confront and pass, if you were to survive has a human being.
Graves Disease can be triggered by severe emotional pain. There's a wonderful book on the link website, LIVING WELL WITH AUTOIMUNE DISEASE, that will help you deal with the emotional stress.
But if I were your grandfather (I'm 63 and in radiant health), here's what I'd suggest you do:
1) Stop eating all meat and processed food. Substitute canned sardines, tuna, and salmon for the meat. Stop drinking milk and eating cheese. The only dairy product permitted is organic yogurt.
2) No canned soda. You should drink only pure water and fresh juice. Sounds boring, but it really isn't.
3) No fast food of any kind. And nothing junky like chips.
4) Try to eat at least 70 percent LIVING FOOD every day; living fruits and vegetables. Your body needs the nutrients in living foods. Make a BIG salad every night -- an entire meal in iself -- with rice, some canned fish, and lots of fresh veggies. Buy your greens from the organic section of your supermarket. Earthbound Farms has delicious salads that are ready to go.
5) Educate yourself about alternative health. Read postings on the CureZone Forum. Buy a copy of LESSONS FROM THE MIRACLE DOCTORS by
Dr. Jon Barron. It's the single best book I know about keeping your body healthy -- and it's not that long.
I'll save some other suggestions for a later posting. Here's the website address of Dr. Joseph Mercola, one of the superstars of alternative medicine:
When the home-page comes up, click on any of the current stories in the left column. When one of them pops up, you'll see a SEARCH slot at the top. Type in Graves Disease. Read at least the first four Google articles on the left, Elizabeth. Item #2 is the book I mentioned.
Good luck with self-education and your self-healing. Trust your deep intuition. You CAN and WILL be healed of this vile disease, if you're willing to do the things that must be done. A Door is opening for you and I hope you choose to walk through it.